Thursday, April 28, 2011

Il dolce far niente

Now that all of the Holy Week craziness has settled down, I am allowed a few days of comp time-- that is, I took my normal two days off, and since I've earned about five more (between the whole days off that I had to work, plus the extra hours that I worked), I'm taking the week off until Saturday. Then next week, I'll work all week and then go on retreat over the weekend, and I will have (hopefully) fully recovered from the craziness of Lent.


But here's the thing-- after spending Easter and Easter Monday with my family, I retreated home for some sleep and relaxation. Which I think I'm entitled to do. But there's this nagging guilt that I must be productive during this time off-- I must run x miles each day of vacation, I must read at least three novels, I must do this, I must do that... and then I get disappointed in myself for not accomplishing all of it.


But what is this guilt for? I worked like a crazy person all through Triduum and Easter morning; I need a break! And since I've more than earned my time off, I shouldn't feel badly that I don't feel like running every day, or if I just want to listen to music, or cook, or watch a movie, or knit... and if I feel too overwhelmed from the past month, I shouldn't push myself during my down time.


So, at least for these couple of days, I'm trying to embrace 
il dolce far niente; or "pleasant idleness." I'll be back to work on Saturday, and back for real next Wednesday, but until then intend to just relax and enjoy a bubble bath, some dinner, a movie, and whatever else I happen to want until my little mini-vacation is over.

3 comments:

Wina said...

You come from a large group of over-achievers. Makes relaxing something you almost have to schedule.You are hard wired to put others before yourself. But remember...If you don't take care of yourself first, nothing else in your life will work right. Not that I want to see you go Paris Hilton in the self-centered department, but self care is essential to life balance. Pamper the hell out of yourself! You have earned it! Love you!

Marc said...

Ditto everything Wina said.

Claire said...

please leave a comment on my blog